Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Connected Creative

I was just thinking, why do I need to be so connected to the world? Why do I need to know what's going on?

In high school and college teachers and professors urge you to read at least one newspaper per day and watch the news at night. But does this really help me in any way. I suppose if I ran a business I'd need to know the relevant info about the industry probably on an hourly, if not more frequent, basis.

However, I am more involved with being creative. Drumming for my band and producing my own music, painting also. And it seems the most creative people I know are some of the most clueless in terms of newsy intelligence.

I have friends that would make fun of such a person, mainly those involved in debate (what d-bags debate kids are you know?) But isn't there something to be said for the kind of reckless abandon being disconnected from the world gives you? Isn't it freeing in some way to not know what's going on so you can not be hampered by it?

I like to break rules and it really pisses people off. I love being connected, plugged-in, to the news (mostly interesting stories on the web and not so much local headlines) and this pisses people off because I seem to always have a fun story about say, like in my last post, the black hole created in NY state.

This attitude I have pisses people off for this reason...I can have both...be connected...be creative...be able to destroy an econ/math/stat problem...and I guess this is just alienating to by two halves of friends. One half doesn't like my academic success and connectedness, the other half can't stand my crazy off-the-wall creativeness. I guess I'm stuck in the middle.

Whatever...I'm just well rounded...that's why I'm the shit

Now who's pissed off by that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home