Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Words....

Steven Levitt

So I met and got to talk with the author of Freakonomics and New York Times Magazine contributor, Steven Levitt. He gave a student talk, had a reception at the college president's house with local business leaders and select students, and then gave a public talk.

I've been freaking out about life after my short job keeping me here at school with friends ends. I have really no plans except Peru w/ Emily and then a "tour" w/ my rapper friend Sean aka Teflon. I got a good dose of reality this morning when a student recognized me from my band, TicTacFuckYou, and said he really like us. Great, have you seen me dj w/ Teflon. No, he says, but the guy at his last show totally sucked. Well, that was me. But thanks for being honest.

This comes after the insta-flate-an-ego session I had yesterday. I asked Levitt about his sucess and he basically went on to say that people in the real world are completly stupid and don't know how to solve problems. And that thinking clearly and problem solving will let you completly destroy(his words (see my post yesterday about destroying)). Anyway, I talk to him later and we get into a bit of a disagreement but that's cool. I got into a disagreement with a New York Times Best Selling author.

I went on to talk to a local venture capitalist. This is the kind of guy I don't want to be. The "I'm very intense and good at what I do and it lets me have just about whatever I want including leaving work at 1:30 to play golf and I most likely cheat on my wife because I can" type guy.

I start talking to him about things...and we have an intelligent conversation (as in my post from yesterday I pride myself on being able to play outside the rules of social norm and class and feel I can talk to anyone especially a guy like this even though I would like to stab him.) So the obvious question of "what are you doing after college comes up" and recently any guy over 30 who asks me this ends up not wanting to talk to me after my answer.

I am going on "tour" w/ a hip hop act this summer then maybe tour with a punk band in the fall then probably moving to San Francisco. So now do you totatly hate me?

He responds, "actually, no. The guys that seem to be the most sucessful have said 'fuck it' and done things their way. Sure its a lot harder and riskier, but they have things their way."

Wow...so Steven Levitt says I should be sucessful, a venture capitalist believes in me but the reality is one student thinks i'm a shitty dj. Damn...what should I think of this.

After 4 glasses of wine at the presidents house we head over to Levitt's public talk. It ends up being a waste of time and nothing insiteful strikes me. Also the wine hits my bladder and I must exit the talk early. The Steve Jobs quote hits me at this moment "drop out of college, it won't help you." So I leave, piss, and don't come back.

I had this thing since last weekend of not settling and being very honest with people. Often I don't speak my mind and end up missing out on engaging with people by being agreeable and not getting into a fight with someone about whatever. I used to be like this when I was little. However, people don't appreciate an 8-year-old speaking their mind for some reason...espcially when it cuts right to the issue. This shit landed me in therapy for anger managment after I hit some kids (who were being total dicks, and I let them have it...people seemed to leave me alone after that and I never really got picked on again) But I seemed to lose that fire of speaking my mind.

My brother has never lost it but he seriously cannot play by anyone's rules and may not graduate from high school. I admire him for sticking to his guns...but at what point do you not see your own ship sinking becasue of your hardheadedness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home